ASCP APPE Rotation
Association, Leadership, and Education Management
ASCP’s mission is to empower pharmacists to promote healthy aging through the appropriate use of medications. With the coming explosion of patients over 65 in the US, now is the best time ever to get involved in senior care pharmacy! ASCP is pleased to offer an Experiential Education APPE rotation in Association, Leadership and Education Management beginning in May 2019 through April of 2020 for the class of 2020. Sorry, our window for application is now closed. Please check back in the fall of 2019 for our future academic year APPE opportunities.
The purpose of this APPE rotation:
The purpose of the rotation is to involve the Pharm.D. student in the provision of adult education through continuing education programs and learn more regarding professional society/non-profit association management. Students will become familiar with:
- ACPE guidelines for continuing education.
- Students will actively participate in planning, organizing, directing and leading CE programs.
- Students will practice writing skills, oral communication skills, and interact with faculty and association executives, as well as other pharmacists and health care professionals.
- The student will also develop administrative skills associated with running the Office of Postgraduate Education for ASCP.
- The student will also uncover her or his own strengths, talents and interests during this rotation, by becoming an ‘anthropologist’ of her or his skills.
- The student will also develop a needs assessment and budget for a CE program (if applicable).
This rotation is ideal for a student interested in association management, academia, continuing education, and/or applying for a PGY-1 residency or fellowship in the future. This would also be an ideal experience for Pharm.D./business minors or Pharm.D./M.B.A. students. Students with experience or interest in writing, social/digital media, and education would benefit from this experience.
IMPORTANT: students MUST be able to work flexibly, remotely and online. Use of Skype/Zoom, Google Hangouts will be required to communicate with the preceptor and others within the ASCP organization. Computer access with up to date technology and wifi access is REQUIRED for this rotation.
Learning Objectives and Competencies:
- Describe the process in the development of continuing education programs
- Demonstrate understanding of ACPE requirements for continuing education programs
- Develop innovative, creative program that meets the needs of members and constituents of a professional association
- Articulate one’s own strengths, talents, interests and passions relative to pharmacy practice
- State the components of a continuing education program – and co-develop a needs assessment and/or budget (if applicable)
- Facilitate current programming (if applicable)
- Identify differences between teaching undergraduate students and practicing professionals, and board certification education
- List barriers, constraints and challenges with providing continuing education to pharmacists
- Develop outcomes measures for continuing education programs (if applicable)
- Describe how to recognize quality continuing education programming
- Apply CE principles related to topic outline and/or active learning to the undergraduate setting
ASCP does not offer housing in the Washington, DC area, nor in the Indianapolis area. Remote candidates may be considered, with a firm grasp of technology and ability to communicate online.
Per ACPE standards, APPE rotations are unpaid experiences for pharmacy students.
Application & Deadline:
Application closed 12/31/18 for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please check back in fall of 2019 for our future opportunities.
- Completion of the APPE application.
- 500 word essay explaining career goals and interest in senior care pharmacy and association management and leadership.
- Current resume or CV, including preferred (year-round) contact information. Please include 3 professional references with name, email, phone number on your CV or resume.
- You must notify your school’s experiential director prior to submission.
ASCP staff will review all completed applications and may conduct phone interviews with top candidates. Final notifications for applicants will be sent via email no later than January 31, 2019 for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Any questions may be directed for the APPE rotation program to email@example.com.
To apply for an APPE rotation with ASCP, please check back in fall 2019 for future opportunities and application.