ASCP APPE Rotation
Association, Leadership, and Education Management
The American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP) has a mission to empower pharmacists to promote healthy aging through the appropriate use of medications. With the coming explosion of patients over the age 65, now is the best time to get involved in senior care pharmacy! ASCP is pleased to offer an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) non-patient care elective rotation in Association, Leadership and Education Management beginning in May 2020 through April of 2021, for the graduating class of 2021.
The purpose of this APPE rotation:
The purpose of the rotation is to involve the Pharm.D. student in the provision of adult education through continuing education programs and learn more regarding professional society/non-profit association management. Students will become familiar with:
- Association leadership strategies
- Government regulations surrounding pharmacy practice
- Students will practice writing skills, oral communication skills, and interact with faculty and association executives, as well as other pharmacists and health care professionals.
- ACPE guidelines for continuing pharmacy education.
- The student will also uncover her or his own strengths, talents and interests during this rotation, by becoming an ‘anthropologist’ of her or his skills.
This rotation is ideal for a student interested in association management, academia, continuing education, and/or applying for a PGY-1 residency or fellowship in the future. This would also be an ideal experience for Pharm.D./business minors or Pharm.D./M.B.A. students. Students with experience or interest in writing, social/digital media, and education would benefit from this experience.
IMPORTANT: Remote students MUST be able to work flexibly, remotely and online. Use of Skype/Zoom, Google Hangouts will be required to communicate with the preceptor and others within the ASCP organization. Computer access with up to date technology and wifi access is REQUIRED for this rotation.
Learning Objectives and Competencies:
- Recognize the mission, organizational structure, and association management operations for ASCP to support its membership of senior care pharmacists.
- Identify high priority issues that impact the varying landscapes of senior care pharmacy practice.
- Enhance skills and competencies in organizational leadership to include verbal and written communication, outreach and networking, and information gathering for critical analysis and evaluation of programs and practices.
- Describe the process of developing and reviewing innovative, creative continuing education programs through understanding ACPE requirements.
- Articulate one’s own strengths, talents, interests and passions relative to pharmacy practice.
ASCP does not offer housing in the Washington, DC area, nor in the Indianapolis area. Remote candidates may be considered, with a firm grasp of technology and ability to communicate online.
For commuting purposes, the ASCP headquarter office address is:
1240 N Pitt St, #300
Alexandria, VA 22314
Per ACPE standards, APPE rotations are unpaid experiences for pharmacy students.
Please note that the 2020 Annual Meeting will occur from November 12-15, 2020 in Kissimmee, Florida and students are expected to attend if they select this as a preferred block. ASCP cannot financially support student air travel, room and/or board expenses.
Application & Deadline:
The application, will close December 15, 2019 for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Essay (500-word maximum) describing career goals and interest in senior care pharmacy through association management and leadership.
- Current resume or CV.
- 2-3 professional references with name, email, and phone number.
- Acknowledgment of notification to your school’s experiential education department.
ASCP staff will review all completed applications and may conduct phone interviews with top candidates. Final notifications for applicants will be sent via email no later than January 31, 2020 for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Any questions about the APPE rotation program may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to apply for an APPE rotation with ASCP.