NEW THIS YEAR! In our call for proposals, we’re looking beyond the annual meeting for your ideas on speakers, topics and content. If you have ideas for webinars, shorter talks at our meetings, and/or workshops or even bootcamps, our call is designed for ALL of your creative ideas to help better serve our members and ultimately, our older adult patients! The 2019 Call for Proposals directions and submission page can be accessed here.
Senior care pharmacy practice is population specific rather than site specific, so we encourage submissions that address caring for older adults in any practice setting, including skilled nursing facility, hospital, assisted living, ambulatory care center, surgicenters, home care, etc. Attendees are particularly interested in sessions that provide innovative ways to approach challenges experienced by senior care pharmacists.
ASCP will only consider sessions submitted using the online process by Thursday, January 17, 2019 by 5:00 PM ET. The submission form must be filled out in its entirety. Partial or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Presenters will receive notification of decision regarding submission via email on or before April 26, 2019. A one-day, member priced complimentary registration will be granted to the lead presenter. Full meeting registration must be purchased separately.
All submissions are subject to modifications to comply with Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) standards.
2019 Hot Topics
Through analysis of the Needs Assessment, ASCP has identified the following topics as highly sought from membership. Please note that submissions are not limited to this list and we highly encourage you to submit any topic you feel appropriate in educating the senior care pharmacist.
- Leadership skills
- Entrepreneurship in consulting pharmacy and other senior care settings
- Private Pharmacy Consulting Practice management – business formation and startup, skills, sales, marketing
- Formulary Management
- Medication Therapy Management Practice – independent of brick & mortar pharmacy
- Collaborative Practice and new Pharmacist Models of Senior Care
- Value Based Care Implementation
- Reducing Medication Errors and Detecting potential adverse drug events
- Emergency Preparedness
- Pharmacogenomics and genetics update
- Specialty Medications
- Electronic Health Records, interoperability, and healthcare information technology
- Technology update to help seniors live independently and healthier
- Pharmaceutical Waste & Environmental Stewardship
- How to move into consultant pharmacy from other areas of pharmacy practice
- Career paths and alternatives in senior care pharmacy
- Research proposals, research and literature searches, teaching senior care pharmacy
Legislative and Regulatory:
- IMPACT Act, Mega Rule (CMS regulation and adherence for psychotropic medication use)
- SUPPORT Act and opioid crisis
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- DEA controlled substances compliance
- STAR Ratings
- Surveys and Compliance Audits – in a variety of senior care settings
- USP <795>, <797> and <800> compliance
- HIPAA and Privacy
- Cardiovascular: Heart Failure, Hypertension, Arrhythmias, Hyperlipidemia, CAD, PVD, ACS, Stroke, VTE prevention
- Endocrine and Exocrine Disorders: Diabetes Mellitus, Thyroid Disorders, HRT, SIADH, Disorders of the Adrenal Gland
- Gastrointestinal: GERD, Diarrhea/Constipation, Hepatitis/Cirrhosis, IBS, IBD, Disorders of Pancreas, Healthy Gut Flora/Gut as ‘second brain’
- Geriatric Syndromes: Falls, Dizziness, Failure to Thrive, Syncope, Dysphagia, Vision and Hearing Impairment
- Renal and Genitourinary: Urinary Incontinence, Chronic Kidney Disease, Acute Kidney Injury, BPH
- Infectious Disease: Antimicrobial resistance, bugs and drugs, pneumonia, skin & soft tissue infections, Immunizations, Viral Infections, Alzheimer’s being caused by virus or infection
- Musculoskeletal Disorders: Rheumatological Diseases, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Gout
- Neurological Disorders: Alzheimer’s Disease, Dementias, Pain, Movement Disorders, Cerebrovascular Disease, Seizures, Delirium, Neuropathies, Fibromyalgia, MS, Headache, Akathisia
- Psychiatric Disorders: Behavioral Symptoms, Anxiety Disorders, Depression, Sleep Disturbances, Parkinson’s Disease, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Substance Use Disorders, PTSD
- Respiratory Disorders: COPD, Asthma, Sleep Apnea, Allergic Rhinitis
- OTC: Vitamin update for seniors, herbals, OTC update for seniors
- Other: Future of healthcare and senior care, Managing for End of Life, Fluid and Electrolytes, Cancer in Older Patients and Oncology drug update, Dehydration, Malnutrition, Functional Medicine, Nutrition, Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, Medical Marijuana, Major Guideline Updates, Social Determinants of Health for Seniors
Any questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2019 Call for Proposals directions and submission page can be accessed here.